Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Woodblock



So I finished my first woodblock about a month or so ago, and now I am finally getting around to putting up pictures.
I bought a woodcarving set from Michaels, as well as a block of carving basswood, which I had my dad cut in half for me. I thought hair would look cool as a woodblock print, so I used that as my first image.
Carving was kind of hard at first, it hurt my hands, but I quickly found the methods that work and those that don't. I ordered block printing ink (I got oil based - and just recently bought another that's water based, so I'll see which one I like better) from Utrecht, as well as a roller. My dad let me set up a little work zone in his garage, complete with an old pane of glass for rolling up ink.
I also just bought a linoleum block from Utrecht, and I'm curious to see how that will carve. I am going to start on my second one soon.





1 comment:

Unknown said...

this is great Caitlin! gorgeous prints.
... what a nice dad you have too. Looking forward to seeing more of your prints.